Sunday, September 23, 2007

Changing Roles

I've just completed my first two weeks here at NSU. It has been exciting and a thrill to be here at the DI level. But, I have come to realize that it's really not that different from level to level. I've discovered that these student-athletes are the same 18-22 year old kids. They may have a little more talent, but still struggle with life issues and how to play the game the correct way.

We had a scrimmage this weekend and it was surprising to see common mistakes made here just like coaching DIII or Junior college baseball. This does, however, help to confirm that I can make an impact here and know that I can coach at this level.

My role from the past 7 years has obviously changed, as I'm no longer the head man. I can only offer my opinions and need to persuade change as much as I can. The staff here has been great and we've been learning together, but seem to work well together so far.

With this change, I've started at the ground level and have duties that reflect that:
  1. Fieldwork - mowing, raking, watering, weed-eating
  2. Laundry when needed
  3. Equipment room organization
  4. Equipment ordering
  5. Any duties required to make the team better

I also have outfield duties and hope to make them better this year. They struggled last year and this is a good chance to make them better and leave my mark.

I hope to have pictures soon, so keep checking on the site!

No comments: